Medical Coding and Insurance
- College/University: Minnesota State Community and Technical College
- Award: Diploma
- Credits: 50
- Delivery: Offered entirely online with face-to-face options available for some/all sections.
- Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) Certified
About this Program
The Medical Coding and Insurance diploma program prepares students in many of the procedures associated with billing for medical services. Students receive training in medical billing processes including patient account management, diagnosis and procedure coding, and medical insurance claim completion and processing. The program focuses on coding and insurance procedures for the medical office. Medical coding involves using nationally recognized coding systems to classify procedures and diagnoses related to medical treatment. The codes provide information that is used in insurance claims processing. Many different types of insurance programs are handled in the medical office. Students are trained in claims processes of many insurance programs/plans such as Medicare, Medicaid, Tricare, profit and nonprofit third-party payers, workers compensation packages and disability coverage. Graduates of the program may be eligible to take several of the national coding certification exams. Courses in the program incorporate the skills needed for employment in the coding and insurance departments of medical facilities.
- Minnesota State Community and Technical College, Fergus Falls 56537
- Minnesota State Community and Technical College, Detroit Lakes 56501
- Minnesota State Community and Technical College, Wadena 56482
- Minnesota State Community and Technical College, Moorhead 56560